Wednesday, November 17, 2010

G for "Gâteau"

OK, I cheated again. This time, it's French. But please understand how hard it was for me to come up with the topic that starts with "g" and also matches with what I want to write about.

Ma maman a fait un
gâteau aujourd'hui. Mom heard about a savory cake called "cake salé", which looks like a combination of an English and French word. She found a recipe on the Internet and baked it today. It was very tasty. It contains ham, cheese, and vegetables. I'm always surprised how her curiosity and interest move her. I mean, she's often busy and tired. I thought there would be no time to do something extra beside her regular routine. But once she thinks that she wants to try a new recipe or make pretty cushion covers, she does it very quickly. (And I just enjoy the result. Hehe.) Cake salé will definitely be one of her repertoire of cooking :)

It's time for preparing New Year greeting cards. (Another "g"!) We don't formally celebrate Christmas in Japan, but instead, we traditionally send New Year cards. This year, I'll have to start sending them out early since I'm going to go to Canada at the end of December. (If you mail them by December 25th, the post office will deliver your cards on January 1st.) Dad has got a book with a CD which is filled with beautiful designs for greeting cards. I've got a hand-me-down printer from Dad, so I can print cards with my own PC! (I used to use Dad's PC and printer to make greeting cards.) I'm wondering when I should send out Christmas cards for my friends in Canada. I'm going to meet them, but I want them to get my card before Christmas. I think Canadian people started to receive cards early in December, so probably it's OK if I mail them way before Christmas....I'll check the Internet if I can get the right knowledge.

I'm starting a tutoring job. I don't really like tutoring since I have to visit the student's place. But I'm generating too little money that barely covers my monthly budget and a bit of savings, I can't complain. And nothing will be wasted for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment