Sunday, December 5, 2010

K for "Kids"

In the third routine, I'm having trouble finding topics that start from each alphabet....I don't know if it was a good idea to follow ABC order to choose what to write. These days, I feel it gets in my way to update my journal. However, it definitely helps me not to mention something too personal.

OK, I'll talk about my students in the English school. I'm in charge of three classes; 3-4-year-olds, 5-6-year-olds, and 4-6-year-old returnees. For the first time in my life, I started to teach children 5 months ago. I had no idea how to treat them or how to get their attention. Teaching very young learners is really tiring sometimes, but I found it very rewarding and interesting. Their English skills develop slowly, mainly because most of them don't really understand they are supposed to learn and speak English in the class, but their growth as humans is remarkable.

They started to communicate with each other, though in Japanese, and they learned to negotiate. They can stop crying in the class much faster than before. I have a new student who came to the class about a month ago. She is 3 years old and didn't like to join the class. Now, she still becomes bad tempered sometimes, but she sits at the table, sings a song with a loud voice, and obey my directions. In just a month, she has changed a lot. It's really interesting how people grow.

I'm going to tutor two more kids soon. This is my side job since my main job is not full-time yet. I went to each student's house to present a trial lesson, and fortunately, they both liked my lessons a lot. That encouraged me a lot. I felt like my teaching is recognized.

It's only two and a half weeks left till I leave for Canada. I'm SO excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment