Wednesday, August 25, 2010

H for "High School"

September is approaching.... That means the start of the high school is coming up soon. Since I had too much fun at kids' ESL this summer, it's hard to imagine or make myself ready to work for the high school again. I have to prepare some answer keys, exams, and teaching materials on English grammar.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy teaching at high school even though my students are VERY handful. But still, I have this belief that the students should study English in fun environment at their own pace as much as possible. What I do at the school is cramming the students with grammar rules and making most of them hate this subject. It consumes lots of energy and preparation, and my effort becomes in vain too often. Generally, teachers at high schools want to be full-time teachers who can be in charge of the class and take care of their students. But for me, I've never dreamed of being one. Of course my parents and probably anyone would say I should try to get a job at junior high or high school because it'll give me better salary and status. However, what I'm trying to do is to quit the high school job and work more hours at kids' school. It sounds like a crazy idea which doesn't include good research and common sense, but the job I do with young children suits me better. Not only that, in the children's curriculum, I don't have to force them to learn grammar rules by heart blindly. There are many tasks that have to be solved and improved at this school, too, but at least, I think it's more interesting and true to what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment