Wednesday, October 27, 2010

D for "Dalai Lama"

I feel a little guilty for using this big name in my blog because it fools some people who Googled this holy name looking for real information about Dalai Lama. My previous entry of B attracted some new visitors from Europe, but I'm sure they seriously wanted to know some academic source of this historic author. Sorry those people! But anyway, this is my daily journal. I'll keep writing.

Today, I went to a local secondhand book store. It was recently renewed and huge! Not having been able to find the book I looked for, I went upstairs to check out the foreign book section. I was surprised how well stocked it was. Carefully, I read the titles of the paperbacks one by one. Winny-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne and The Magician's Nephew by C. J. Lewis were good finds. Then I stopped at the cover saying Dalai Lama.

I went to his public speaking in Vancouver in 2006. I had no idea what kind of person he was, and my English wasn't good enough to catch all the words he said. But I understood that he thought much of compassion, and I liked his way of thinking. I liked his attitude (in my understanding) of not trying to convert you to believe in Buddhism, but trying to spread his way of being peaceful and forgiving to others.

I opened the book called An Open Heart and turned a few pages. It looked simple enough for me to read. And it was priced only 250 yen, which is the equivalent of $3 CAD (and it was as good as new)! I bought this book wishing it would open my heart :) (And wished that I could read this through without giving up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment