Sunday, October 24, 2010

B for "Brontë"

I read a column on Salus, a free monthly magazine distributed in the stations along Denenchofu Line. It was about Jane Eyre written by Charlotte Brontë. As a graduate of English major, of course I knew the name of this literature and the author, but I had never thought about reading it. I had just assumed that this story was about an unfortunate lady's life which was filled with misfortune and grief. But according to this column, Jane Eyre describes Jane's deep solitude and her mind which seeks for freedom. She wants to be loved, but more than that, she wants to be truthful to herself. She craves for a change, and that drives her to take actions.

Sounds interesting.
I felt like reading this book for a while, but soon after that, I forgot about it. Yesterday, I was rummaging through my mom's book collection for a book about handmade soap. Then what I encountered was....Jane Eyre. Mom got this book long time ago, probably more than 5 years ago, and never got to read it. It's a sign! (If you haven't seen the movie, Sleepless in Seattle, check that out. It's a good one.)

OK, I started to read this book last night.....hmmm, this is difficult. I'm good at skipping and ignoring words that I don't know and guessing the meaning as I read. But this time, there are so many unfamiliar words. I don't know how long I can hang on, but I'll try.

No comments:

Post a Comment