Saturday, September 18, 2010

Q for "Qu'est-ce que tu fais demain?"


Tomorrow is Sunday, but I have to go out with my colleagues and the president of the company I work for. We are going to attend a workshop of "extensive reading". This is a method of teaching/learning languages through reading, shadowing, and listening to the audio context while you read the book. No dictionary needed. Just keep reading books of the appropriate language level for you. Even though I'm not very confident about developing the curriculum to prepare for this teaching method, I'm curious how it will turn out if we start this program at our school (In our case, we are offering English courses). It is said that extensive reading is a recognized and very effective way of learning languages. (I would love to try it in French! I wish I were in Vancouver where I can borrow various books and audio in French from the library.) It's not so exciting to work (kind of) on Sunday, but it makes me go out to Shinjuku. The workshop will end at 4:00 anyway, so I'll make use of this outing to have some fun ;)

I mentioned that I started reading "Eat, Pray, Love" in the previous posting. Yesterday, I got the audio of this book from British Columbia Libraries. I'm supposed to be able to download this audio onto my PC or iPod, but I can't for some reason. So I have 21-day loan. I'd like to finish reading (and listening) within this period.

My schedule of next week is a bit complicated. Having two jobs is sometimes complicated and not easy to keep track of. We have two holidays, and I have my regular day off on Tuesday. Kids' school has no classes but I have regular work days...no, only one day due to the stat holidays. And I'm going to commute to the high school for two days, I'll have to get my materials prepared.... Ugh.

Good thing is, I don't have to get up early tomorrow morning. I'll study French for a bit, put away my laundry, and read before I hit the hay :)

No comments:

Post a Comment