Monday, September 20, 2010

R for "Rest"


Do you know one of the most exciting things happen in your life? That's getting flowers unexpectedly from someone who is important for you. My Goodness, I did. This morning, a beautiful flower arrangement arrived at my house. Now its sweet scent is filling up my lungs beside me. My appreciation from the bottom of my heart to L & T, my best friends in Canada. How could they order those flowers?? Probably that owes a lot to the convenient Internet services. I know they are skilled at using them. I'm honored to be a good friend of these wonderful people. I'll learn from this manner, and would like to show this kindness to someone who is in trouble in the future.

Anger creates more anger or sorrow, but kindness creates more kindness and happiness. So maybe if I want others to be kind to me, I should be kind to others first.

This weekend is, actually I found out yesterday, a four-day off for me. I'll have to prepare for the next class on Wednesday, but it's still Monday. This long weekend, I allowed myself to take a complete rest from myself. This sounds funny, but I often feel guilt for not doing anything productive (though I spend my day off lazily anyway). The exam is over, the tests are all marked and stored in the drawer in the teacher's room, and I'm going to quit teaching those gangs at the end of this month. All I have to do is to make two more handouts and carry on 4 more classes. In this small vacation, I sleep well, eat well, and feel well. Yesterday was a half working day, but the seminar was interesting, and the outing wasn't too stressful.

Eat, Pray, Love is really an interesting book to read. It's almost scary that I picked up this book at this timing. Although my case is not as serious as the author's and I'm just a little younger than she was (and I don't have a great career and a heavy mental disorder as hers), she's writing about her view of having a family, getting old, and relationships. Since when I hit 25, I've been anxious because I become older every year, but I haven't gained any career, property, and a partner that I can be proud of. (However, I have obtained many great friends and lots of experience that people usually can't gain easily.) This woman decided to put a big "pause" in the middle of her life and free her mind to recover from the tremendous injury in her heart. And she discovers new way of seeing things. It reminds me of the first time I started to live in Vancouver.

Considering the encounter with this book and finding the article (about a lady, who graduated from the same university as mine, went to the U.S., started her career as a piano teacher at the age of 29, felt anxious, found an American husband, and finally had a baby at 39), I think things around me are very cooperative to me to regain my strength.

I'll enjoy my holiday :)


No comments:

Post a Comment